Spirulina is not a plant, it is an organism that grows in both fresh and salt water. It is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It is a type of cyanobacteria, which is a family of single-celled microbes that are often referred to as blue-green algae. Just like plants, cyanobacteria can produce energy from sunlight via a process called photosynthesis.
This tiny organism is packed with nutrients including protein, vitamin B1, B2, B3, copper, and iron. It also contains magnesium, potassium, and manganese, as well as small amounts of almost every other nutrient that the human body needs!
Health benefits of consuming spirulina include;
- Relief from allergies
- Control high blood pressure
- Helps remove heavy metals from the body because it is very high in chlorophyll
- Increases fat burning during exercise
- Fights inflammation
- Promotes a healthy gut environment
- Helps reduce “bad” cholesterol and raise “good” cholesterol